When a brand plans to expand its business by launching a product line under its name, we call this practice umbrella branding. While the primary goal of this marketing plan is to multiply the market share of the company, it also helps a known brand to utilize its customer goodwill. The idea is to leverage the success of one product to increase the sale of others. For instance, Apple uses iPhone’s popularity and brand value to sell various related products like iPods, smart watches, wireless chargers, etc.
Every business should understand the nitty-gritty of umbrella branding to implement a successful expansion. This article will give you an idea of what this concept entails and how you can use it!
1. Umbrella Branding Meaning in a Nutshell
The umbrella branding strategy gets a firm to a place where it can launch a product line under its brand name and value in the market. The productivity of this practice depends upon how well a business product branding. You must analyze the market sentiment, customer response, and demand patterns to start the process.
2. The Pros & Cons of Umbrella Branding
A smart business owner weighs the pros and cons of every strategy before jumping to conclusions. After all, learning from the mistakes of your competitors is as vital as taking inspiration from their success.
Here are the well-known pros of umbrella branding:
- The positive market response to one product increases the credibility of the next launch.
- It helps reduce advertising costs of the firm as there is no need to promote a product from scratch.
- New products receive instant acceptance from the loyal customers of the brand.
- Diversifying a business prospect becomes easier with umbrella branding.
Here are the possible drawbacks of umbrella branding:
- The expectancy level of customers increases as per the brand image, which puts pressure on maintaining the quality of all products. One has to keep up with the quality standards of every item launched with the brand name.
- One mistake or wrong product launch can ruin the credibility of the brand once and for all. This downfall can risk the sales of an entire product line.
- It requires the brand to maintain market competency to meet customer expectations
3. Top Examples To Inspire Your Umbrella Branding Ideas
Many companies have led successful examples in umbrella marketing. You can follow their journey and key initiatives to get a hold of how this branding approach works. Some popular names are:
- Apple Inc.
- Tata Motors
- Hot Wheels
4. Umbrella Branding With VOWELS – A Profitable Prospect!
All these umbrella branding examples tell us a success story full of hope and optimism. If you have a similar business notion, VOWELS is the ultimate branding partner you can ask for! We will help you lay the groundwork for all the products you wish to launch with this branding practice. Our team takes care of everything from logo and packaging design to digital branding and more. Share your vision with us online, or give us a call to have a thorough discussion!
5. Some Common FAQs
Q. What is umbrella marketing?
Ans. Umbrella marketing is the process of using the success of one product to launch a new one under its brand value.
Q. Are umbrella marketing and branding two different concepts?
Ans. Yes, umbrella marketing focuses on increasing the sale of products, while branding entails increasing the brand value of the business.
Q. Does any agency provide umbrella branding services?
Ans. Yes, agencies like VOWELS provide extensive umbrella branding services with all required services covered by one creative team.